Monday, July 23, 2012

There's no crying in baseball

"There's no crying in BASE.BALL!" -A League Of Their Own

My Dad used to say that line to me when I was a kid. I never even liked baseball and I grew up with Ranger Stadium in my backyard. Oh I loved going to the stadium, but not because I cared about the game, or Nolan Ryan, or Pudge Rodriguez. I simply went for the food, of course! Nachos, Slushies, pretzels, and Ballpark franks? Yes, please!

Anyway, this post isn't about baseball, or Ballpark franks, it's about crying.

A few months ago, someone asked me when, if, how, I cry. I don't, of course! Ever. Because I'm tough. Liar.

Our conversation went like this:

"The post where you said you cried at the drop of the hat, and the hat drops often...that one stood out to me."

"You stepping on your hat, too?"

"Eh, I have big feet."

When I was younger, one of my friends asked my mom, a nurse, why we cry to express emotion: joy, sorrow, tiredness as opposed to just because something is in our eye or we are in pain. I don't remember her answer, and I'm sure studies have been done on the subject, but I think on a spiritual level it must have something to do with the "eyes being windows to the soul" and energy not being created nor destroyed. I believe that emotions are real, that everything in the universe holds energy that vibrates on some level. When we experience elevated emotions we increase the vibrations within us, and the energy needs to be releases somehow, creating tears.

I know I have cried most often in my life from anger, frustration, or unexpected joy because they were sudden floods of emotion that spilled over. I also think that when you are vulnerable, or worn down, or consciously connected to your emotions, you cry more, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I have been all three lately, so the emotions have come pouring out.

And I think I needed to let it out, still need to let it out. And, luckily,  I have no plans to play baseball anytime soon.





No comments:

Post a Comment