Thursday, May 23, 2013


Last month, my friend and I signed up for a color run, to take place next month, called Color Me Rad. The rad people at the run saw my post about it and sent me some free swag, telling me they were inspired by my story.

How rad is that?! Check it out! Thanks, Color Me Rad!

I've been trying to prepare for the run, seeing that the only physical activity I did for the last few years was Physical Torture (Therapy) and that ended over 6 months ago. I recently went hiking with some friends and landed in the hospital. Shocking, right? One day I'll learn... Probably not, but I'll keep saying it, anyway.

A friend of mine has been telling me about this great climbing spot and I've been dying to go, so we did. Only he didn't tell me what getting there entailed, and I didn't think to ask.

Idealistic, right?
I mean, look at this place; it's amazing! And it'd been a while since I hung out around a hospital, anyway- I was due for a visit.

To give you an idea of what I got myself into...

Steep hills
*Blogger is being difficult and keeps re-sizing the section below. 

In my defense, aside from the fact that I still continue to think that I am capable of doing the same degree of things I did before I got sick, our other friend was also unprepared for our trek. So there!

The hilly hike wasn't so bad. Neither was hopping across a stream on slippery, wobbly, rocks. Our climbing was moderate and I paced myself. The real clincher, and really, to be honest, my favorite thing about this spot, was that you have to climb along a rock wall, around a body of water, and make it across a six foot gap, to get to the climbing area. At the end of the day, when we were ready to head back out, and it came time to make it back across the gap, I was pumped (that's climber speak for exhausted and weak). I realized when I was half-way across, that I'd forgotten to stretch. Rookie mistake. By that point, I just powered through it. The hike back up the hill to our cars felt like Everest.

I stretched when I got home, but it's apparent now that I waited much too long. Oh, and that I overdid it. Hindsight is 20/20!

The next day my ankle was swollen and my thigh was tight, so I iced/heated it all day. The second day after, I couldn't bend my knee, so I stayed in bed with it elevated. The 3rd day after, my toes looked like sausages and my thigh was rock hard. That's when I decided to ask my Mama what she thought.

Cue the blood-clot scare. If I had a dollar for every time it's looked like I had a blood-clot, I'd totally have two dollars! Remember this?

Don't worry, it wasn't a blood clot, it was just my leg being pissed at me. They released my muscles, gave me some meds, and sent me home.

Long story short, I'm going to be smarter this time and work up to the Color Run. My rad swag will be great motivation to do so and I can't wait to show off my tee and bottle around the neighborhood.

And of course, I'll be sure to stretch.

*I literally changed it a dozen times, in various ways, and it won't stop doing it. I'm going to stop trying now, or I really will give myself a blood-clot.

No comments:

Post a Comment