Sunday, May 15, 2011

Regarding the previous post...

Those questions were prompted by some conversations I've had lately regarding my final will, my living will, and some confusion surrounding my illness and prognosis.

They are purely hypothetical, but also something I think every person should consider. As one of my favorites so eloquently stated: I may have a serious illness that may or may not kill me tomorrow, or next year, or twenty years from now...and you may step off the curb this afternoon and get mowed down by a bus. No, that's not morbid, it's realistic.

That being said, would you disappointed by how you lived your life? By the things you'd done, or better yet, hadn't done?

There is no designated amount of time any of us is promised.

There are so many songs, books, movies, poems, etc. out there about living like you're dying, but my question is this: why not live like we're ALIVE?

What do you want to do? Why aren't you doing it? Get out there and F-ing do it!

Don't wait until you're dying to start living, because by then it might be too late.

Don't wait until you're too sick to get that tattoo you always wanted; or too tired to travel with that passport you waited forever to get; or until you're too weak to climb to the top of that mountain you vowed to conquer; too "whatever" to do the things you always meant to do; or too dead to do anything.

Be here now. Live the life you always wanted.

"Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption




* For the record:
Aspergillosis is a very serious disease and many people inflicted do die within the first year, but those people also have other deadly illnesses (like cancer, pneumonia, and/or Aids, which I am blessed not to have).

I have already surpassed the one year mark and fully intend to make it to the second year mark, as well. Some people have managed to live with this for several years and I have many indications that I will be one such fortunate, too. Don't underestimate me!

I know I haven't been very good about keeping people informed for the past year, but I'm really trying to be better about it now. (It was scary and overwhelming and I didn't know what to say most of the time)

Please feel free to come to me with any questions you may have and I will do my best to answer them.

No comments:

Post a Comment