Sunday, June 10, 2012

How I'm still doing it

The question I am asked the most in regard to my health is "how do you do it?"

I mostly shrug or laugh this question off. I make light of it, because it puts others at ease, and because it is a means to distract myself from the weight of the question.

Sometimes, I say "I don't know," because honestly, I don't. There are times I am bewildered that I was able to peel myself from my bed at all that day, so your inquiry is just as baffling to me as it is to you. I really wish I knew!

I wake up each day with every intention of combating whatever beast is running at me, but sometimes I find that instead of a sword, I've been equipped with a shoestring.

Many times, on those kind of days, I simply tie a pretty bow around my woes with that string, tuck it under my pillow, and admit that my only triumph for the day will be my ability to sleep through it. On those days, the only way I can survive, is to admit defeat, roll over, and go back to sleep.

Most of the time, however, I am not offered that choice. I have physical torturists to see, flesh to be punctured, children to pick up from school. On those days, I tie that string around my waist and pull myself forward. If I haven't the strength to do it myself, I ask if someone else can pull me. And if no one is able to, I tie it to a remote control car and whip out the remote. I am constantly, daily, looking for new ways to do things- more efficient, less tiring ways to get what I need to get done, done. Sometimes the remote control runs out of batteries, but I'll at least try.

Then there are the days I wake up with a blowtorch in one hand and a chainsaw in the other. I charge at the day, full speed, and slay every dragon in my path. But, I can't plan those days. They don't always happen when they should, despite how hard I will them to be. I never know what each day will throw my way and I never know if I will be hitting home runs, or striking out.

My main line of defense has always been and will probably always be my ability to make fun of any situation and myself.

"The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it."
-Marjorie Pay Hinckley

So that is how I'm still doing it. By laughing my way through.


"Through humor, you can soften some of the worst blows that life delivers. And once you find laughter, no matter how painful your situation might be, you can survive it." -Bill Cosby

And that's the only answer I know, the only solution I can give, because sometimes life is hard, and sometimes it downright sucks. Sometimes it just won't let up and sometimes you can't even stand up, but you can still laugh your way through and that's the best you can do.

"If you can’t find humor in the shit life heaps on you, you really will grow miserable."
-Sherrilyn Kenyon, Born of Night

If you can laugh, you'l always make it through.

No comments:

Post a Comment