Thursday, May 24, 2012

Dear Aspergillosis: Happy 2 Year Anniversary!


Here, I got you this cake I can't eat- that's love.

Dear Aspergillosis,

Happy Anniversary! Yesterday marked two years since I became yours. You'd already conquered my heart by then, after only being in my life for a few months. I've heard it said that sometimes your lifelong relationships are the ones that catch you by surprise, when you least expect it. And surprise me, you did! I never fathomed you, never dreamed you would come in and change my life forever, never knew what life could be like with you at the forefront.

You, with your challenges and stubbornness rivaling my own. You, with your humbling ways and air of mystery. You, with your beauty and grace. I wasn't expecting you.

Has it really only been two years? It feels like a hundred, sometimes! We've been through so much, you and I. I would've written you yesterday, but as you like to do, you had me in bed early, as you had other plans for me. You are always full of surprises!

The person I was before we crossed paths would have hated you. In fact, when I first learned your name, I did. Then you grew on me. I didn't have much choice, actually. You knocked me off my feet.

You aren't easy to live with, Aspergillosis, but you've been worth it.

It has been quite the storm we've weathered, so far, and I want to thank you for the things you have brought to my life. You showed me where there were leaks in my boat and now that I've patched them, nothing life throws my way can sink me. You taught me to surround myself with people who are umbrellas shielding me from the rain, and to avoid people who are buckets looking to dump themselves onto me. You remind me that life is cyclical, and that tides come and go, as do hardships and joys, and to always keep an eye on the horizon because you never know what might sail your way.

You have given me my money's worth of this life. You have expensive taste and sometimes I think you will take me for all I am worth, but then you pay me back in experience and wisdom, in courage and strength, and in love and light. You have made me rich in gratitude, joy, and awe, things money can't buy. When the grass looks greener in other's pastures, you take my straw and spin it into gold. You encourage me to seek out diamonds in the rough and your storms polish my shattered pieces until they shine. You have been worth every penny and the life I now have is priceless.

I love you and the life we have created together. I really don't think I could have done it without you. You are the best thing that has ever happened to me and you have made me a better a person. Thank you for coming in and changing my life.

Love,
Bren

"I feel a very unusual sensation - if it is not indigestion, I think it must be gratitude." -Benjamin Disraeli

*May 23, 2010 is the day I was diagnosed with Aspergillosis

No comments:

Post a Comment